PRIORITIZING THE POWER OF GOING OUTSIDE
The benefits of time outside to our mental well-being are profound – but not well known. Mental Health America (MHA) is proud to join forces with outdoor retailer L.L.Bean to solve this problem, creating awareness of how spending time in nature results in greater creativity, lower stress, increased self-esteem, and reduced anxiety.
Our partnership will help reach people through community-based outdoor mental health focused programs, research, and multimedia campaigns aimed at creating connection and inclusion in the outdoors.
Interested in joining us on this journey? You can start by taking a mental health day to spend outside. And then tell everyone you know how great it made you feel.
After all, no matter where we live, there are ways we can be intentional about connecting with nature and spending time outside, such as:
- Slow down and be present
- Watch the sunrise or sunset
- Seek out green space, like a park or community garden
- Take a walk around the block with your pet, friends, or family
- Move your workout outdoors
- Create your own green oasis - flowers, plants, or vegetables in your home, workspace, or community
- Find a sunny spot to read or journal
- Look for local hiking trails, parks, or nature reserves
- Enjoy your breakfast, lunch, or dinner al fresco
- Encourage kids to spend time outdoors
MHA is driven by a commitment to promote mental health as a critical part of overall wellness, including prevention services for all; early identification and intervention for those at risk; integrated care, services, and support for those who need them – with recovery as the goal.