The Mental Health America (MHA) Regional Policy Council (RPC) cultivates a constructive partnership with its affiliate field, state policy leaders, and other mental health stakeholders working together to initiate, advocate for, and implement federal and state policies that positively affect children, youth, and adults living with mental health and substance use conditions.
MHA established the RPC in 2009 to work with MHA's Public Policy and Advocacy Department to achieve these policy goals in a coordinated and effective manner.
MHA's most knowledgeable public policy and executive affiliate leadership serve a one year term on the RPC.
Many of the issues facing mental health treatment infrastructure and adequacy are related to implementation of federal laws, or are state level issues that are common across the states.
Each state faces challenges related to the Affordable Care Act (ACA), Medicaid Expansion, the Mental Health Parity and Equity Act (MHPAEA), integration of behavioral health services, workforce adequacy, access to community-based services and supports, and the use of peers.
The RPC forms a nationwide movement toward a robust mental health system that promotes prevention and early intervention initiatives, access to integrated community-based treatments, and supports that are recovery-focused and that encompass community inclusion.
2023 Regional Meetings
MHA’s Regional Policy Council (RPC) meetings and events coincide with major policymaker groups. Please note that the dates listed below are tentative and are subject to change. Please contact Janelle Gonzaga at email@example.com or Vice President of State and Federal Advocacy Debbie Plotnick at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- Mental Health America Governors Leadership Awards and Regional Policy Council Meeting: Focus on Youth Voices (Virtual): February 9, 2023
*Links to more information for each meeting will be added as updates are announced.
Past Regional Policy Council Meetings
- Virtual RPC Meeting Coinciding with the National Governor's Association Winter Meeting: January 28, 2022
- RPC Meeting Coinciding with the National Conference of State Legislatures Legislative Summit: August 2, 2022
- Virtual RPC Meeting: October 24, 2022
- RPC Meeting Coinciding with the Council of State Governments National Conference: December 7, 2022
- Crisis Equals Opportunity - December 2021
- From Diversion To Deflection To Prevention - Summer 2021
- Why Addressing Mental Health is Key to Budgeting and Legislating During COVID-19 - February 2021
- Injustice and Inequity: The Path Toward Innovation and Inclusion - December 2020
- COVID-19, Entrenched Inequities, and Police Practices - August 2020
2022 Regional Policy Council Representatives
Barbara Johnston, Director of Advocacy, MHA in New Jersey
Represents ME, NH, VT, NY, NJ, MA, CT, DE, PA, MD, VA
Ben Harrington, Executive Director, MHA of East Tennessee
Represents IN, KY, NC, SC, TN, AR, LA, TX, MS, GA, FL
Moe Keller, Vice President of Public Affairs and Systems Advocacy, Mental Health Colorado
Represents OK, ND, SD, WY, MT, CO, ID, AZ, NM, UT, NV, WA, OR, CA
Shannah Mulvihill, Executive Director, Mental Health Minnesota
Represents OH, IL, WI, MN, MO, KS, MI, NE, IA, HI