RPC Meeting: Honolulu, Hawaii: Surfing the Policy Wave
Surfing the Policy Wave
Mark your calendars for the last Regional Policy Council meeting of the year: Wednesday, December 7, 2022, in Hilton Hawaiian Village Waikiki Beach Resort, Tapa Conference Center in Tapa Ballroom 1, Tapa Ballroom, Rainbow Dr, Honolulu, HI 96815 or virtually.
Note: All times are Hawaii–Aleutian Standard Time.
Join us for a wonderful day that will begin at 7:45 a.m. after our 7 a.m. breakfast honoring another group of 2022 Mental Health Legislative Champions.
From 9 a.m. - 2:30 p.m., we'll be Surfing the Policy Wave with a deep dive into our tentative agenda that will be updated until the RPC meeting:
Wednesday, December 7, 2022
7 - 7:45 a.m. HST
Legislative Breakfast Buffet
7:45 - 8 a.m.
Welcome & Opening Oli
- Bryan Talisayan, Executive Director, Mental Health America of Hawaii
- Dolly Tatofi, LCSW, Maternal Child Health Director, Kokua Kalihi Valley Comprehensive Family Services
8 - 9 a.m.
Legislative Champions Awards: Honoring 2022 State Legislative Mental Health and Substance Use Disorder Champions
- Welcome Remarks with Joan Ballweg, Wisconsin State Senator
Congratulations to the following Legislative Champions Awardees:
- Representative Jamie Zahlaway Belsito, MA
- Senator Cleave Simpson, CO
- Assemblymember Akilah Weber, CA
- House Speaker Cameron Sexton, TN
- Representative Tina Orwall, WA
- Senator Manka Dhingra, WA
- Representative Dontavius Jarrells, OH
- Senator Stephanie Kunze, OH
- Senator Karl Rhoads, HI
9 - 9:15 a.m.
Welcome Video by Mental Health America (MHA) President and CEO Schroeder Stribling
9:15 - 10 a.m.
Firearm Safety and Suicide Prevention
- Jose Davila, Deputy Director of State Government Affairs, Everytown for Gun Safety
10 - 10:15 a.m.
10:15 - 11 a.m.
Youth Mental Health in Hawaii
- Mestisa Gass, PsyD, Program Director, Mental Health America of Hawaii
- Amanda Martinez, MPH, Training Program Manager, Mental Health America of Hawaii
- Danielle Bergan, Maui Community Coordinator, Mental Health America of Hawaii
11 - 11:30 a.m.
988 Suicide & Crisis Lifeline
- Laura Evans, Director National and State Policy, Vibrant Emotional Health
11:30 a.m. - noon
Employment for Youth with Mental Health Needs
- Caitlin Hochul, Project Manager, State Exchange on Employment & Disability Mental Health Initiative (SEED)
- Rachel McGreevy, State Outreach Advisor, State Exchange on Employment & Disability Mental Health Initiative (SEED)
Noon - 1 p.m.
Networking Lunch (provided)
1 - 1:40 p.m.
End of the 117th Congress Federal Policy Update and a Look Ahead
- Mary Giliberti, Chief Public Policy Officer, MHA
- Caren Howard, Director of Policy and Advocacy, MHA
1:40 - 2:20 p.m.
Work Force and Access Advocacy Opportunities in the States
- MHA Regional Policy Council Representatives
- Barbara Johnston, Mental Health Association in New Jersey
- Ben Harrington, Mental Health Association of East Tennessee
- Shannah Mulvihill, Mental Health Minnesota
- Laura Evans, Vibrant Emotional Health
2:20 - 2:30 p.m.
6 - 9 p.m.
MHA affiliates, staff, and board members will be invited to join an affiliate-only dinner